Back to School
We are working to develop products that meet new USDA regulations for school lunches for Kindergarten through grade 12 that maintain the great taste our consumers love. In addition to many new products created to meet these guidelines, we are also currently moving forward with the removal of egg, a listed allergen, from our K-12 products. Here are some new products we launched in fiscal year 2012 for the K-12 program.
- Two new pizza products for school menus including Crispitos® Pepperoni Filled Tortillas and an industry first: Chicken Pepperoni.
- Two new Proportion® Chicken products including Southern Breaded and Oven Roasted Chicken.
- Whole Grain Tempura Nuggets that offer the popular tempura breading everyone loves with eight grams of whole grain per serving.
- A Hot & Spicy Grilled Breast Fillet that contains no food allergens or gluten-containing ingredients and offers 23 grams of protein per serving.
- Our Homestyle Breaded Boneless Wings are made with whole muscle, all-white breast meat and have a made-from-scratch appearance.
- A Golden Crispy Pattie that offers 14 grams of whole grains in a single serving.
- A lighter, better chicken nugget made from whole muscle and lightly glazed to provide a crispy nugget that has improved nutritional value
You can learn more about these and other products that are part of our K-12 program at www.tysonfoodservice.com/K-12.
Culinology – The Art and Science of Great Food
We currently have 45 Research Chef Association Certified Culinologists on staff, with more in training. This culinary training program helps our product development team build a well-rounded understanding of both the culinary aspect and commercial viability of making a new food product so we can offer products that consumers and customers will love. But consumers also want to eat healthy, and many want to reduce the amount of saturated fat, sodium, and trans fat in their diet. So, we have four professionals at the Tyson Discovery Center with dietetic degrees who specialize in human nutrition and apply their expertise to product research and development. By tapping into their knowledge, we are creating a culture of health-and-wellness awareness when it comes to product development. This not only helps us make great food, but make a difference as well.
Helping People Eat Well
We are responding to customer and consumer demand for foods that help people maintain their busy schedules and still eat the healthy, nutritious foods they want.
Tyson® Grilled & Ready® Products
One of our fastest growing product lines is Grilled & Ready Chicken. Our creation of this line was a great example of the teamwork and creativity needed in producing innovative products. Creating this healthy, high protein, convenient product line required the full use of our staff at the Tyson Discovery Center, the input from Team Members across many departments, and feedback from suppliers, customers, and most importantly, our consumers.
100% All Natural*
We are creating more all natural foods with no artificial ingredients and no preservatives. For example, our Tyson® Lightly Breaded Chicken Breast Strips are made with white meat, contain no preservatives, and are 100% All Natural.
*Minimally processed. No artificial ingredients.
Recognizing that many of our consumers are actively engaged in preventing and managing health conditions, we are committed to making great food that helps meet their needs. For example, we are focused on ways to limit the use of sodium in our products without compromising flavor or food safety.